Sunday Girl - In Newbury

Hiya, I'm doing this impromptu extra blog this week, as I feel compelled to do so.
What a glorious Sunday it is, crisp but sunny here in Newbury.
We all had a lovely lie in this morning, then I got on my bike to town to visit the Thames Valley Farmers Market.
Its every fortnight in Newbury, and I always try and get there to buy some produce. I usually buy organic and British fruit, veg and meat, where I can, but the best for me is the more local the better.
For me, I want to support local farmers and traders, also less pollution has occurred with transporting the goods locally, and also, I read somewhere its healthier to eat produce that has come from land around you. Icelandics are good examples of this, as all of their diet is produced locally, and they are very healthy people.

Newbury Farmers Market

On my trip to the farmers market I bump into some friends and have a few chats.
On the way back, I notice a narrow boat moored in the Hotel boat's spot, with lots of people in black gathered around it, hmmm, nosey me wants to see whats occurring.
I turn my bike  around and go and chat. Its the launch of the Waterways Chaplaincy, and before I know it they are taking a photo of me with the Bishop Of Reading, who finds my 'Power to The People' jacket most amusing. What a good looking chap he is, and being the charming personality that I am (I get it from my Dad), I tell him so too.
What a fantastic cause, the chaplains roam the Kennet and Avon Canal, offering support to those in need of kind words, including helping out the homeless people in the tents down the other end of Newbury. Homelessness is rife in Newbury, luckily, there are a lot of campaign groups out there offering help.

Waterways Chaplaincy and The Bishop of Reading

When I return home with a spring in my step, I set too work in the kitchen. I love spending a few hours, or most of the day in the kitchen on a Sunday. I always cook us roast dinner on a Sunday, I love a bit of routine and tradition, and its the only meal we will properly sit round to at the table to eat and chat. Today I am using up some more of the moorings apples to make a crumble too. Its a good time to think about the week ahead, I check through my freezer, and do a meal planner. I find it relieves some brain time in my day, and is also good so you don't waste food. Whilst I am doing this, Mia and Rich are making some bird boxes from left over scraps of ply board. I am so proud of them.

7 year old making a bird box 

Sundays are family time, home life and taking life a bit easier. Thanks goodness for Sundays

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful, traditional values which are most welcome in this modern world.

    ReplyDelete