Groovy Fabrics - Late 1960s



If I was to chose a favourite era for fabric, it would have to be the 1960's, for its far out funky bright prints. I do like bright colours, and some of you may wince at the thought of wearing such attention grabbing cloth, but personally, the more psychedelic the better for me.
Psychologists have researched and find that different colours can affect our moods, whether its looking at it, eating it or wearing it.
If you look at the chart below, and all the positives the different colours bring to your state of mind, then surely if you wear them all, its enhancing your life ten fold?

During the late 60's a lot of 'hot' (bright) colours were used in textile prints, reflecting the mood of the young at the time, with the vast surge in the youth movement. I'm talking mostly 1966 - 1969.
It wasn't just about the colour, it was also about the style of prints, which I will discuss shortly. I bet if you saw the colours olive green and bright orange together, it would automatically make you think of the 1960's.
Common colours used for the 60's textiles:
Shocking Pink
Purple
Turquoise
Electric Blue
Orange
Yellow
Lime Green

Apparently, the most common used colour to enhance these was olive green, interestingly, this was the colour of the army helmets worn during the Vietnam war.
The fabrics reflected the mood of the time, 'free spirit', which meant no rules, whats not to love about it?
Inspirations came from bold and cutting edge artists like Mondrian and Picasso.
The following are the 3 main types of prints you would find during the late 60's period, Geometric, Floral and Paisley (where stated they are fabrics from my own collection - available for commission)

GEOMETRIC - which came in 5 categories

Dots and circles
Yellow Ochre geometric circle print



















Checks and Boxes
Statement geometric 1960's print












Plaid
Not mine



















Stripes
Unique colourful 1960's print




Novelty
Gorgeous vibrant bold print





FLORAL
Irresistible flower power at its best

















PAISLEY
A lush purple paisley - loving it



















I hope you find this useful, some of this information I gained from the book credited below. I have enjoyed researching this, why? because of the stimulation it gives to my eyes, and the sense of happiness it gives to my psyche. So if your a bit down in the dumps, put on your colourful rags!
Do I have a favourite category? No, I don't think I do, for me its about the colour combinations first and foremost.
Do you have a preference?

2 comments:

  1. The pink aqua combination is one I remember wearing when growing up in the 1960s

    ReplyDelete