Passion for Patchwork

In 2018 at a moment in time when I was feeling low I decided that adding some colour to my home might help my mood. I went through my somewhat large fabric collection, and found the most wonderful remnants I had collected over the last few years. 
I got to work by sourcing the fabrics I liked, measured the size of a quilt, and figured out how many squares I would need to make it. Then I cut out all the squares and in a random, yet non random way (its hard to be random - I think our brains are designed to be logical, symmetrical and organised) pinned them together to make a pattern. I wanted to personalise it too, so I did some embroidery (which you can't see in the photo), to display the name Foxy Lady on it. I also wrote positive happy words in all four corners, like 'Love' and Home, then I sewed all the pieces together, and backed it with wading and a lining.
I love my quilt, it certainly brightens up the place, and I love nothing more, than snuggling down on my sofa on a sunny winters afternoon, pulling it over me and having a cat nap, its so comfy, and no-one else in the world has one like this. 
Quilting might sound a bit twee or old fashioned to some of you, but believe me, it is so satisfying, and you can still make it look contemporary or funky if you don't want the country cottage look. I intended on getting more knowledgeable about quilting and creating wonderful patterns with hexagons or triangles, but to be honest, I think its a bit too mathematical in the planning for me, and my buzz, is about choosing the colour and creating a pattern with the fabrics, I also like to produce things quickly, so that sort of patch working isn't for me,but I will never say never. In the meantime, I have too many other projects in my head to be focusing on.




A bleak January in 2020

I decided this week to check through my stash of fabrics, to make plans for my next projects. I had lots of scraps of beautiful vintage cloths, and decided now was the time to get them out of my way.
A quilt I would make.
I love patchwork, I love looking at it, feeling it, and making it. I like a quick fix with my creations, so my patchwork is mainly just squares. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to do the more intricate designs with diamond shapes, but that's very technical and more time consuming, and I haven't the patience. I also prefer to work free style.
Whether I am making a dress or a cushion cover, I don't tend to draw my designs, I work more organically, and start with some fabrics that match well colour wise, and take it from their. Sewing and developing as I go.
I am a modern woman, and generally like contemporary looking homes, but I have a love affair with patchwork quilts. If I am in someone else's home and see one, on their bed or a sofa, I immediately feel like cosying down with a good book. I like the colours, the randomness, the story, the detail, the workmanship, and above all, the comfort of them. Comfortable and yet aesthetically pleasing, its a win win for me.
You an buy patchwork quilts of course, but to make your own is something else. Its a personal piece of history that may tell a story, like it has a life of its own.

Can you imagine lying in your own bed, ready to sleep and having the satisfaction of knowing you made it yourself? definitely a good way to induce a quality nights sleep, and then waking up to it, and reminding yourself, that you are skilled or creative is definitely good for the soul. Its also an heir loom, which shows my love for my life, my home and my family.
The icing on the cake for me is that my partner and I work well as a team, and we have created this beautiful home within a small space. He does all the woodwork, plumbing and electrics, and I do all the curtains, cushions and bedding. So wherever you look around the boat, its what we have made ourselves, which has only got to be a good influence on our daughter. So not only have we created this awesome space we are proud of, it also moves, so the aesthetics outside change from time to time too.


Home is where Foxy Lady is (the boat not me!) King size quilt made from vintage fabric scraps

A personalised quilt will cost you from 200gbp.
Enquiries at 
ukfoxylady.co.uk



4 comments:

  1. That is lovely, Sarah. I love patchwork too, and often sneak a bit into a bag. When we massively downsized to move into our boat 4 quilts made the cut, and I have since made a couple more as chair throws! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it, thanks for the insight. Do you plan to make anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this and feel the same way about quilts. I made 3 this last month to gift to my nephew and my sons from my huge stash of upcycled shirts and sheets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, unless someone commissions me to make one. Then I only do them for myself, or like you said gifting. They can take a lot of time so financially they would be very expensive to sell. Do you agree?

      Delete