Kennet and Avon Floating Market

Hi there
I have been at the floating market today, I didn't take Foxy (my narrow boat) down there as we are currently undergoing some serious DIY, and need stay at the moorings until it is complete. I can't wait for my new work room, and will be blogging about that when it is complete.
I haven't been up to much this week, due to the school holidays, but I felt so inspired by today's market, that I thought I should write about it.







The Kennet and Avon floating market started in 2015, and is a group of boater traders, that either live on the Kennet and Avon, or others that travel around the whole network. No suprises here, but they are a great bunch of people, trying to make a living from their home, in order to live their dream life style, which happens to be the same dream as mine.
Fortunately, the weather has been nice today (it chucked it down last night, and was feeling autumnal with the drop in temperatures), and there was a nice steady flow of people around the wharf in town. There certainly was a buzz on the canal today.
I spent a few hours there, chatting with old friends, meeting people that I have only known through social media, and meeting new ones. I particularly had a good giggle with Toastie a Liverpudlian guy on a tidy grey narrow boat, that cleans diesel bug, and has a cafe serving tea, and you guessed it.. toasted sandwiches. this was a real treat for me, as when you live on a boat, an electrical item like a sandwich maker, would be a luxury item, die to its electric consumption. He made his with a griddle heated from his gas stove, and they were absolutely delicious, served with a great brew, in a mug.


Finally I get to meet Jules and Pete, (hope i got it the right way round) from the Hippie Boat. We have been following each other, and conversing on social media for a while now, and it was great to finally meet them. I tried to avoid looking at their stuff on sale, as I knew I wouldn't be able to resist anything, then I hung around the market for so long, i ended up buying 3 awesome items. I love their vibe, and their taste, it was  totally Foxy Lady tastic, everything is fair trade and they stock fab labels like Gringo and Siesta crafts. As they don't have over heads that a shop retailer would, the prices are irresistible.
The Hippie boat are so hippy and lovely, they have taken some Foxy lady stock to sell for me too. Thanks guys


http://www.thehippieboat.co.uk/

Also at the market are my mates Ziggy (Shine on the Water) and Toni (Wyre Wytch), a fab couple I met last year that stayed at our moorings for a couple of days. The kind of people you meet that are instantly your friend. Tony make beautiful Celtic inspired jewelry (another Foxy favourite) and Ziggy sells brass and copper goodies, like goblets, fire tools and traditional boaty things. I'm really pleased he finally found me a brass Fox, and is making me a tiller pin by the end of the weekend before the flotilla all head up to Devizes for their market next weekend.

Wyre Wytch copper bangle

Apart from these, their was a lady selling some groovy and pretty crotchet clothing, and bags  Croc, selling pictures and items hes made from old vinyl a lady selling lots of hippy and fairy things, I bought incense and Mia bought various items from her too. there was also the sweet barge and a boat selling gin, cake and preserves.

https://www.facebook.com/crocsthevinylcut/



Keeping the kids happy (and some adults) The Sweet Barge



The next Kennet and Avon floating market is

September 1st Devizes - Facebook Event here



2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for coming to the market, it was amazing to meet you at last & thank you for your purchases ✌

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww cheers Luvly, it was really fabulous to see ya! i so wish we could stop by you again this time, but the market in Devizes only gives us 3 days travel, which will be long... , We'll deffo stop by in the spring but really hope to catch you before that. Take care & looking forward to seeing some of your new creations xxxxx

    ReplyDelete