Foxy Ladys Top 10 Conscientious Christmas Present ideas

December is upon us, so now I can talk and plan for Christmas. Every year Christmas advertising starts earlier and earlier, and I know many of us feel it takes the spirit and fun out of it. BC (before child) , I would often be doing Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve, I remember many a year in massive queues in Woolies (Woolworths RIP), or Boots, feeling hot and stressed under bright false lighting. Now I have a child, Christmas has become a fun and important time again for me. But I will not entertain any celebrating before December.

Me at the Pop Up Shop 2017, promoting an Eco Christmas

However, as its been 'sick bay' on Foxy Lady this last week, I have actually done most of my shopping, and want to share with you some ideas for an ethical, plastic free, eco and charitable Christmas. I have devised a top ten, and would welcome to hear any other ideas you may have:

1) Make your own gifts 

I have been doing this for a few years now, as I am fortunate to have craft skills, so its easy for me. This year I have made soaps, and the usual candles and home made Sloe Vodka. If you make chutneys, jams, knit or do any crafts this should be a no brainer for you. If you are short on money this is also a good option.

2) Charity Shops

please don't feel you are copping out by doing this, I have friends who would actually prefer that I have supported a charity. Not everything in charity shops are second hand. For example Sue Ryder sell some new things and Oxfam sell eco toiletries and gardening products.

3) Buy from friends small businesses

Support your friends that have small business, you may even get things personalised, or a deal for buying in quantity. This year i have made it my goal to buy as many presents as I can from friends. This includes books (I have at least 3 friends that have published books - I mix in high places you know 😜), salon treatments, hand made gin, pens and art work.

4) Markets, Christmas Market, Artisan markets, Floating Markets!!!

Support your local weekly market, if you don't use it you lose it. Their are many Christmas markets in towns now, selling artisan and often local products. Shop local, and find some really unique hand made gifts.

5) Craft Fairs

They are in abundance these days. Its a fun afternoon out, and you will find beautiful hand made gifts, at a great price because they don't have the usual over heads of shops. Your local farm shop or garden centre will often host a craft Christmas fair

6) Independent Shops

Please use your local independent shops, you will generally get a more personal service and find products that you wont find in the big retailers. It can make people feel special if you find them something that no-one else will have.


7) Pop Up Shops

Many towns now have empty shops on the high street as Independent small business can't afford the rates, which is why, often around Christmas you will see pop up shops. Traders will get them at a reduced rate for this period, look out on your high street or shopping mall. They are becoming much more common now.

8) Buy an experience or membership

Many of us have everything we need in life, so why not buy a 'facial' or massage for your nearest and dearest. Me and my friend paid for each other to have a spa day last year. Buy tickets for an event like a concert or art exhibition.
You could also join someone to a charity or cause that they support, for example, this year I would like a membership for my local theatre, as they are struggling with funding, and it will help them, and I will get discounts on events. So if a certain family member, who like reading my blog, and is my partners mother sees this...... 😇

A Link to the Corn Exchange Newbury Membership

😜

9) On line shopping

Charities now have lots of merchandise for sale, like Friends of the Earth, Oxfam and animal charities. One year we adopted some pigs in Africa for a family member that loved pigs!
Ethical super store is also a good one if this floats your boat or the person you are buying for...

Link to Ethical Superstore Shop
Friends of the Earth shop link
World Animal Protection link
RSPB shop link

10) Design a voucher and offer your services

This is a top idea if you have a tight budget, or at a loose end as to what to buy someone. Ideas like baby sitting, gardening, pet sitting or cleaning might be a life line for some friends.

I hope you found this useful, if you have any other ideas, I would love to hear them..

And just in case... here is a link to my Etsy Shop
Foxy Lady Creations Etsy Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment