Winter Tow Path Living


Monkey Bridge Moorings 2015
 It can be muddy, it can be cold, it can be isolating, it can be very, very dark, but I still love it.
For the last 5 years we have had the luxury of a home mooring, we can drift on and off whenever we like and return when we want. prior to this we lived nomadic, continually living on the 'wild side', as we now refer to the tow path.
Chugging to Kintbury on a colourful Autmnal day

Our recent spate on the 'wild side' in winter was a mish mash of cold weather and illness, however, I felt comfort in this situation, with the simplicity this life style brings and the loving side of fellow boat dwellers.
So, living on a boat in the winter, in the countryside has its ups and downs. Living like this makes you live more in the moment, enriching yourself in the wonders of nature, and the fact you have less distractions like people, technology, consumerism, pollution be it noise or light. I like this aspect, equally I can get frustrated without decent internet access, if I was in better health I would have embraced this and immersed myself in creative tasks without disruption, bliss. but it wasn't to be, and the best thing I could do to make the most of my poorly days, would have been to do admin and social networking.


Ingredients supplied by fellow boaters - alcohol does the trick

I find it interesting how much impact the 'real world' has on our senses and well-being. yes its obvious to most intelligent people that nature has a profound affect on our well being, but why?
As I said earlier, less distractions like noise and people and light pollution, so when you do hear a noise, it might be an owl, or a monk jack. This creates conversation, it makes you in tune with the seasons, like the stag calling for a mate in December. Its educational deciphering which is the male or the female owl. It is also comforting to hear those species living a normal life unlike birds that tweet during the night in inner cities because of street lights.
Wow, who knew I was this deep? Must be my age.

Beautiful views, even a child can appreciate

The basic necessities and facilities are at the top of your priorities, rather than more trivial things. Will my van start on a frosty morning? How long will our water last if we get stuck here. Do we have enough fuel to last until the diesel man comes along.
Its a bonus if you can get a decent TV signal never mind 4G, you can't take anything for granted, like in a house where you can just flick a switch, run a tap, flush a loo, by magic your amenities appear; only to be thought about when a bill comes through for them. I am not suggesting that everyone that lives in houses is ignorant of their basic essentials, but many, many people out there don't even contemplate these issues (unless theirs a problem)
Living in the countryside on a boat, you generally have to carry your shopping a long way and planning ahead can make your life easier. There maybe a local shop a 20 minute walk away, but its generally uber expensive and lacks fresh produce.


Icy gangplank or muddy one? take your pick

The views can be stunning, fields, woodland, animals grazing, the water may be still and peaceful, and you feel at one with the nature, however, it can be isolating and frustrating, particularly if you are not feeling well, physically or mentally.
Sometimes its nice to be introverted and soak in the nature and lack of other humans, slowing life down, and having less distractions, It makes you more mindful and focused, focused on the fact that there is less to focus on!
One of my pet hates of tow path life in the winter is the mud, some towpaths are stony, and some are more muddy, and the longer the winter goes on the muddier they can get. This will inevitably end up on your front deck, and inside tour boat, sometimes I even find leaves in my bedroom. Its difficult to maintain a clean home when its like this.
And yet, there is nothing more warming and positive than seeing a narrow boat on a winters day, with the smoke coming out of its chimney. I still look at other boats and think, oooh I bet its cosy in there.
Boating can get more dangerous in the winter, dark days, icy ropes, slippery lock gates, and ideally, you need to be in a position (eg retired) of choosing which day you boat, when the weather is right.
I enjoyed my trip off the mooring, its almost like a holiday, only you take all your stuff with you, and carry on as relatively normal. Maybe thats why traveller life styles suit many of us, hence the saying 'A change is as good as a rest'.
So back we are now, at our mooring in Newbury. With a short walk to town, a leisure centre next door, a water tap, and sheds filled with fuel. Prior to living on the mooring, we lived nomadic for 5 years, and have done our time struggling during winters. I'm not saying it a walk in the park here, we still have issues like frozen water taps, having to maintain the log pile, filling generators, maintaining boat engines etc.
However, its a much more comfortable existence than on the tow path, I will leave that for the Spring.

Sharing Baileys after a day of communal log chopping

Click on this link to find out more about Foxy Lady






10 comments:

  1. I'm sure that way of living has many amazing moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes. we have lots of treasured memories

      Delete
  2. My husband and I have the opportunity to buy a house or a boat. We like the wide beams, any advice please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. Lots of things to consider. The best thing is to join one of the many forums, online, or on face book. Are you on facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’d love to be a part of group where I can get advice from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Nicole, nice to hear from you. Is it boat life specifically? or travellers? or living off grid? It might be better for us to talk over email. Mine is essymack@hotmail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much Andrew, thats really lovely to hear. Do I know you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "What’s up, I read Every weekend and i used to pay a visit to this website,
    for the reason that i want to find new things to learn and this web page
    conations really pleasant great information too."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Amy, thats great of you to say so. I didn't blog for about 6 months as I was feeling uninspired, and a bit low, if I'm honest with you. But I am back on it now, and just done my second one this week. I appreciate your interest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is something I have just recently really started to learn and putting my energy to. This post was perfect! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete