Sewing classes - Tweens and adults

Hi there
You may or may not know, that I am actually a qualified in teaching and hold a Post Graduate Certificate in Further Education, and before I had Mia and lived in Southampton I ran a few sewing / fashion courses.


Currently I have been working with my 13 year old home educated neighbour and her mum for over a year now. She comes to me for a session most weeks. When we started, 'we' weren't sure how it would go, I am pleased to say it has worked out perfectly so far. I was surprised as to how much I would benefit from it too, it really is a pleasure and inspiring too.
This particular tween has been 'unschooled', and her time with me is very much 'student' led, although I do incorporate techniques to ensure she is getting quality learning from me. She is with me to embrace her desire for clothing and textiles and learn skills. The skills she is learning are empowering for her inquisitive mind, and she can utilise them in the home or maybe, in the future in the work place.
Its not just the sewing skills she is learning, she is developing her understanding of colour, proportion, maths, culture and many other things. She is also enhancing her communication and team work skills, we work very much as a team, and we have great fun.


Although I have over 30 years experience, and have studied various fashion courses. my student, often astounds me with new knowledge. One of my favourites, which happened to be from this week, was during a discussion about the precise colour of a thread. Was it crimson? was it burgundy or as my student suggested 'scarlet'. As an avid historian of Victorian costume, she proceeded to tell me where the colour scarlet came from, and I was blown away with her knowledge.
Recently, I have had some adults in for one to one sessions, tailored to their needs. One person had a very basic dress she loves, and wanted to be able to replicate it with fabrics she has bought. We constructed a basic pattern from it, made it up and I gave her written instructions to take away with her in case she forgot anything from the sessions.
Another woman, just wanted to know how to make a basic skirt, again so she could use fabrics she finds from thrift stores and independently make them herself at home.

Simple dress in less than a day
A happy sewer
Feedback from one of my customers:

In two short sessions Sarah has taught me how to make a simple a-line skirt. Her tuition was thorough, taking me through tips for selecting fabric, measuring up and making the pattern - there is lots to think about and do before you get anywhere near the sewing machine! I can now sew in a zip, darts and seams.
Thank you very much Foxy Lady Creations!

To find more details and prices please click on this link


With the current climate, more and more people are wanting to do things for themselves, not wanting to support the 'fast fashion' industry or large corporations. Therefore, people are wanting to learn basic sewing skills so they can recycle old fabrics and make their own.
Later in the year, I am planning to run sewing workshops in central Newbury.
Please follow me on Facebook for upcoming details

FoxyLadyCreations - Facebook

2 comments:

  1. So happy to see other like minded people doing amazing work. Your classes sound like great fun and yes our students definitely do teach us a thing or two. Your students are lucky to have you with your mission and zeal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah thanks Sharon, what a lovely thing to say. Im going to float around with that in my head all day

    ReplyDelete